Boston - Local
Local Area Code:
617 Time Zone:
YLocation: (by zip code)
42.362372 N, 71.066194 WPopulation: (2000 census)
= 589,141 (city) Demographics
Median age: (2000 census)
Suffolk County County Population: (2010)
= 722,023 Places in Suffolk County
7:45 pmAstronomical Dusk:
Local Time: 12:57 pm
68°F / 78% RH
Earthquakes in the USA
, Active Tropical SystemsElected Officials:
Boston is the capital of Massachusetts.
Boston is referred to by the nicknames "Beantown", "The Hub" and the "Athens of America". The Boston Marathon is the world's oldest annual marathon. Boston is also the home of the oldest public park in the US. Boston Common was purchased in 1634 by the citizens of Boston and in 1640 it was set aside for public use.
The first post office in America was established in Boston in 1639 and in 1652, the first mint in English America was established here.
At the time of the 2000 census, the city of Boston had a population of 589,141 living in 239,528 households. The median age was 31.1 yrs.
Calculate distance between Boston and other places
Local Real Estate links.
Local Attractions. Things to do in Boston(35 found in Boston)
Too many to display here - Click to see list!
Local News Sources. (12 found for Boston)
Born in Boston ...Cotton Mather (1663)
- ClergymanAnn Smith Franklin (1696)
- Printer, almanac publisher (sister-in-law of Benjamin Franklin)Benjamin Franklin (1706)
- Statesman, Scientist, signatory of the Declaration of Independence.Samuel Adams (1722)
- American Patriot, 4th Governor of Massachusetts, signatory of the Declaration of Independence.Paul Revere (1735)
- Silversmith, Revolutionary War PatriotJohn Singleton Copley (1738)
- PainterRalph Waldo Emerson (1803)
- American essayist, poet and philosopherEdgar Allan Poe (1809)
- Author, PoetOliver Winchester (1810)
- American InventorCharles Sumner (1811)
- U.S. Senator and AbolitionistLouisa May Alcott (1832)
- AuthorWinslow Homer (1836)
- PainterOliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. (1841)
- U.S. Supreme Court JusticeHenry Cabot Lodge (1850)
- U.S. Senator and HistorianPercival Lowell (1855)
- Author, mathematician, and astronomerRobert Lowell (1917)
- PoetBarbara Walters (1931)
- JournalistLeonard Nimoy (1931)
- ActorEdward "Ted" Kennedy (1932)
- U.S. Senator from MassachusettsJames Taylor (1948)
- American singer & songwriterMatt Damon (1970)
Map of Boston MA ( 02222 )